Friday, October 12, 2007

Check it out! I previously smacked down my iPhone and made mention that it has mediocre sound quality. Something that has me eating humble pie is ironically due to a small bit of ignorance on my part!! - Sorry Steve Jobs and Apple!

I always thought that an earphone was an earphone and they always sound best when new out of the box. WRONG! Why do I say this? Easy. I misplaced my iPhone earphones and grabbed my set of old 5.5 generation iPod earbuds and poped them in just to see if they'd work with my iPhone. Good news! They worked GREAT! I have no idea why or how. I later found my misplaced earphones (earbuds) and what do you know. Tight, tiny, with no depth. - So it WASN'T my imagination. The new iPhone earphones are seemingly bad out of the box.

I was discussing this with my audiophile friend [Dwayne] and he mentioned to me that earphones need to break in sometimes to sound better. I heard this previously from others like Justin F. (and thought it was all just a bunch of bunk) but now it totally makes sense. I'm currently running my earphones at 3/4 volume with a little extra base enhancement. Just from 8 hours of audio play I can already notice the difference.

I'm going to give these phones a full 24hr "burn-in" at 3/4 volume (too much can obviously hurt them drastically and actually pose harm to your sensitive earphone membranes). The ipod is set to shuffle and I've got tons of music on my 8GB so no worries about the same thing going over and over. The iPhone just sits there on the charger playing music over an over. I'm sure that they will sound much better in the morning and I'm looking forward to it!

Well there's a tip for you audio junkies! Enjoy! BTW Thanks Justin and Dwayne for the tip!

No comments: